Laughing Gas Sedation
Nitrous Oxide Sedation otherwise known as “laughing gas” is one option we offer to help make you more comfortable during your dental procedure. Nitrous oxide is combined with oxygen through a mask that’s placed over your nose. This mixture of nitrous oxide and oxygen helps you relax. You will be able to hear and respond to any requests or directions given. You will be instructed to breathe normally through your nose, and within a few short minutes you should start to feel the effects. You will feel a bit light headed, have a tingling sensation in your arms and legs, and feel very calm and comfortable. Some people may get ‘the giggles’ hence the name laughing gas!
What are the advantages of nitrous oxide?
- Nitrous oxide works very rapidly
- The depth of sedation can be altered from moment to moment, allowing the person who administers the gas to increase or decrease the depth of sedation.
- There’s no “hangover” effect – the gas is eliminated from the body within 3 to 5 minutes after the gas supply is stopped. You can safely drive home and don’t need an escort.
- No injection is required. In cases of very severe needle phobia, getting laughing gas first can help you feel relaxed enough to allow the needle required for IV sedation to be inserted in your arm or hand. The very deep state of sedation achievable through IV sedation will then allow you to accept local anaesthetic.
- Inhalation sedation is very safe. It has very few side effects and the drugs used have no ill effects on the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, or brain.
- Inhalation sedation has been found to be very effective in eliminating or at least minimizing severe gagging.